Saturday 23 November 2013

Postnatal depression.

I want to apologise in advance for this post. It certainly won't do this crucial issue much justice. 

I don't have much experience of PD or knowledge for that matter. I've heard of baby blues and on day 3 after F's birth when my boobs resembled something that Katie Price would be jealous of and my eyes were slowly escaping the matchsticks that had being holding them open for the past 106 hours, I felt blue. 

But when does that turn into postnatal depression? What is normal? 

I've cried myself to sleep when F has refused to sleep, I've missed my old life, I've asked God for strength on many occasions. I've also thanked him for the world's greatest blessing, I've laughed until my sides were sore and I've kissed F's smile more times than I can remember. 

When is it too late to have PD? When it is just simply depression? What does depression feel like? 

Do they take your baby if you have it?

In my own admission this post is a bit sh*t. But I think it highlights what's important surrounding PD. There isn't enough education for women to let them know what's normal and what's not.

I gave birth to F fourteen months ago. My only two experiences of PD are 1. A doctor asking 'are you ok?' at my 6 week check and 2. Being in a room full of new mums whilst one told a HV she felt down. She was told she may have PD (in a very loud unprofessional manner that made me feel very uncomfortable) and asked to fill in a questionnaire in a room full of around 15 mums and countless screaming babies.

It isn't exactly revolutionary is it?

The sad news of the GP who was suffering PD recently has highlighted the issue further. Something needs to be done. 


There was a feature on ITV's This Morning programme this week that obviously goes someway in hightlighting this issue but I still worry it's not enough.

As with most healthcare issues, it's probably a postcode lottery although I have no doubt that in some areas, the provision will be brilliant but it definitely needs to be rolled out across the board.

I think the most important thing is to speak with your GP.

If anyone reading this feels that they may need some additional support, here is the link to the This Morning support page with lots of websites and information.

What are your experiences with PD?

What is provision like in your area? 

No comments:

Post a Comment