Monday 4 November 2013

Lack of sleep.

I know I sound ridiculous as I'm a mother and well, lack of sleep comes with the territory but luckily (or unluckily) for me, sleep has never been an issue in our house.

Yes I'm one of those gloaty mothers whose little bundles of joy slept through from day dot. Ok not dot as such but from around 4 weeks, we've had the pleasure of a full 12 hours kip each night. 

I've boasted and I've gloated, thrilled that I was one of the lucky ones. One of my friends has a 3 year old whose still to accomplish a full nights sleep! If that was me, I'd have checked myself in to the local looney bin by now. I love my sleep and as it appears, so does my son. Well that is, until recently.

Our little bundle of slumber joy has turned into a 2am tyrant. For anyone who follows me on Twitter, you've probably seen my pleas for help;  my desperate appeals for advice and my ranty end of tether posts at 3am. I really am perplexed. I can't put my finger on it but my angel just does not want to sleep.

Last night I well and truly earned my mother stripes. For 3 hours, I laid at the side of Freddie's cot willing him to sleep. Offering bribes of Animal Bars for breakfast and a 12 hour Cbeebies marathon but no, he still wasn't having any of it.

I have tried everything. Not giving milk, giving milk, leaving water in his cot, comfort blankets/teddy, adding a night light, changing his bum in the night. You name it, I've tried it over these past few weeks.

The only change is that he's recently become obsessed with 'Dispicable Me' and it dawned on me that, no matter how much he adores Gru and his little yellow minions through the day, maybe they are plaguing his dreams at night? 

I don't know. It's hard work.

I'm not cut out for no sleep. I hear you laughing, I've well and truly got my comeuppance. 

I will boast no more! 


2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! My daughter is a terrible sleeper! Has been for 2 and a half years. I think it can be worse when you are used to getting sleep as it's more of a shock to your system. Lovely to find your blog! Off to add you to my reader now. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he had been like this from day one, I'd be more used to it but it's unfamiliar territory to me!

    I only knew of one 5 o'clock in the day before these last few weeks!

    Thanks for reading xx

    ReplyDelete